When the Governor's Palace is closed and all you can get is a view through the keyhole of the front door.
Havana's oldest square was laid out in the early 1520s, soon after the city's foundation, and was originally known as Plaza de Iglesia. The name was changed to Plaza de Armas in the late 16th century. Most of the buildings around the plaza date from the late 1700s. In the center of the square is a marble statue of Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, the man who set Cuba on the road to independence in 1868. The statue replaced one of unpopular Spanish king, Ferdinand VII.
The Castillo de la Real Fuerza (Castle of the Royal Force) was originally built to defend Havana against attack by pirates, but it suffered from a poor strategic position, being too far inside the bay.
The watchtower features a weathervane sculpted in the form of a woman. The figure, La Giraldilla, has become the symbol of the city of Havana and is featured on the label of Havana Club rum.